Sweet Resurrection

During the past few months, I have definitely felt the ‘long cold death that the winter brings,’ and I’ve been holding out hope that someday, somewhere, there would be light and resurrection. <Enter Spring>

I’d like you to listen to a song. The song is called “Invisible God,” and it is the perfect song for welcoming Spring in all its flowery-goodness. Two things about the song. First thing: God is invisible, and we can’t see Him. Second thing: For someone who is invisible, it is surprisingly easy to see God.

“Invisible God” from Resurrection Letters: Volume II – by Andrew Peterson

I give you praise, O Great Invisible God, for the moon in the space of a dark night, for the smile on a face in the sunlight.
I give you praise, O Great Invisible God, for the sound of the storm on the window, for the morning adorned with a new snow, for the tears on the face of the old man made clean by the grace of the good Lamb.
And oh, I long to see your face, Invisible, Invisible God. All the works that you have made are clearly seen and plain as day, so mighty and tender.
O Lord, let me remember that I see you everywhere, Invisible God, in the seed that descends to the old earth and arises again with a new birth; in the sinner who sinks in the river and emerges again, delivered.
And oh, I long to see your face, Invisible, Invisible God. All the works that you have made are clearly seen and plain as day, so mighty and tender.
O Lord, let me remember, your power eternal, your nature divine. All creation tells the tale that Love is real and so alive.
I feel you, I hear you, Great God Unseen I see you in the long, cold death that the winter brings and the sweet resurrection spring.

(If you liked the song, then you’ll love the album. Click here to support my favorite artist.)

Comments

  1. Two thoughts - the first is that this reminds me of Nichole Nordemon's "Every Season" (she is my female equivalent of Andrew Peterson - well her and Jill Phillips combined).

    There is this great part in that song where she says talks about how even when everything looks cold and dark, there is still something about to happen - and then in the spring how life is repurposed and what was once dead is now green and living. And I remember that he is making all things new.

    As I was standing with Candice at the World's Fair Pavilion last week we were talking about how it was this really perfect day, caught between winter and spring - sunny but cold, and all around everything lay brown and silent but there was an expectant feeling of bloom - like at any moment flowers and leaves would pop up, and a warm breeze would bring refreshment to the cold air.

    I was thinking how awesome it is that Lent and the Resurrection take place in the winter and spring, because it so mimics what is happening with the earth. I know that for me, Lent is this time of sacrifice coupled with expectancy - always waiting for the exciting celebration of new life while acknowledging the loss of life for a time.

    Epilogue to my comment: I landed back in LA two days ago to find that spring had arrived in my absence. The weather is warm, the Jasmine and Lilacs are in bloom and the sun has a golden tint that was absent all winter. All of it reminds me that there are new things coming from the God who even works in the dark and fallow times, and who makes all things new.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts