Water from a stone

I believe that God is making all things new. I believe that Christ overcame death and that pattern is apparent all through life and history: life from death, water from a stone, redemption from failure, connection from alienation. I believe that suffering is part of the narrative, and that nothing really good gets built when everything's easy. I believe that loss and emptiness and confusion often give way to a new fullness of wisdom.

I didn't write the words above, but it's where my heart has been lately. In the past few years we've experienced a lot of changes: we finished degrees that left us a bit battered, moved 5,000 miles from our families, left our jobs and our paychecks, I lost my grandmother, Collin's dad lost his dad, friends divorced, friends married, other friends didn't marry, friends had babies... all while the two of us clung to each other like we did when we were first married, hoping we would never get divorced, hoping we would have babies, hoping our friends could find the grace they needed, hoping our families could get along and not create too much drama while we were so far away.

I think all of THAT is why I love the image of water from a stone. Why I need to believe that redemption can come from failure. It reminds me of the bit in the Bible when the Israelites were facing all kinds of horrendous things, causing them to despair and wonder if they could endure. I can relate. No, we haven't faced an invasion of locusts or armies or fire. But we've had our own disappointments and times when we just weren't too sure about what was coming our way. But then, the author in Joel says 'Who knows? Maybe He will turn and have pity and leave behind a blessing.' Yeah. Maybe he will. Maybe he already has. And finally, 'Do not be afraid, O land; rejoice and be glad, surely the Lord has done great things.' We're changing. I'm learning. I'm realizing that God is at work in our lives, even when we wonder what the heck he's up to. Even when I'm stubborn, making demands and stomping my feet, I'm learning to roll with what comes and hold on to the grace that is obvious in our lives. I'm learning that nothing really good gets built when everything's easy.

The words at the beginning are from a book called Bittersweet. You should read it.

Comments

  1. Good post, Candice. Life is full of so many hard things, and so many good things. Praise God for His grace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts